FPL Book Club

VicVic Administrator, Moderator
Are you reading anything interesting at the moment? What is your favourite book?
Do you like reading on a device like a Kindle or do you prefer to read from a paper book?

Welcome to the FPL book club, we want to hear all about your reading adventures! :)

Comments

• I've got a Kobo. Just like a Kindle really. Currently I'm reading a random lot of books:

Philippa Gregory 3-Book Tudor Collection
    Doors Without Numbers by C D Neill
    Police, Arrests & Suspects by John Donoghue
    Not Dead Yet by Peter James
    Worse than Evil (The murder of baby P) by Tammy Richards
    The Calling: A Supernatural Thriller by Robert Swartwood (haven't started this one yet)
    The Murder Of Princess Diana by Noel Botham (or this one - a bit scared of it)
    Oh Dear Silvia by Dawn French

Random! I know, I'm a bit weird.

Jane x
  • AshleyAshley Administrator, Moderator
    I just finished reading the last in the series A Song of Ice and Fire by George R. R. Martin. I'm sure everyone has heard of Game of Thrones on HBO? Well this is the series that inspired it!

I absolutely loved these books, while they may be too risqué or violent for some I have been totally captured by the world Martin has created and the incredibly well developed characters that inhabit it.

If you're a fan of the show, I beg you, read the books - you get so much more of an insight into what makes the characters tick, plus there are so many other storylines that didn't make it into the show!

You can buy the whole collection here for under £30! bargain!A Song of Ice and Fire
  • I am rereading The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini. His first ever novel and if you haven't read it I recommend it. I like devices such as Kindle etc. They are particularly useful if travelling/going on holiday. So many books to read, and don't fill up the suitcase.

However for me if at home there is still nothing better than a paper book. I love when I buy a new book the feel of and the smell of crisp new pages when I first open it.
  • Geri Member
    Does anybody here listen to audiobooks? I have sight problems and I like to read in bed - listening to a books rests my aching eyes and doesn't keep my husband awake.I've just finished listening to The Widow by Fiona Barton. It's about the disappearance of a small girl, the man who becomes the prime suspect in her abduction, and the man's wife. There are lots of twists and surprises, so I won't give away any more of the plot.
    The narrative is told mainly from the viewpoint of the wife, the policeman leading the hunt, and the doorstepping journalist desperate to get a good story. It switches back and forward in time and between characters, so it can get a bit confusing sometimes. However, Fiona Barton manages to keep it flowing swiftly along. I found it unputdownable and finished it in only two sessions (losing a lot of sleep in the process- the audio version is 10 hours long!)
    The author was a journalist on several national newspapers, and covered a number of similiar high-profile murder cases; she's clearly put some of herself into the reporter character, who comes across as thoroughly human and quite sympathetic, even when she's cynically lying to in order to get "good copy". In fact, you learn a good deal about the way the media mob operates when they're covering such cases and it's not at all pretty!
    In the introduction, Barton explains that she was fascinated by the wives of men accused of horrific crimes - how much did they know, were they complicit, were they innocent victims, or were they in denial? So she wrote The Widow, as an exploration of such a situation.
    It's a complex book, the characters are equally complex and the ending is probably not what you 'd expect. But I found it a damm good read (listen, rather!)
  • I am currently reading the Outlander(also known as outcast)series.I am up to Book nine.I believe there is also a TV series.The books are basically about the love story between Claire and Jamie.Claire is a time traveller and Jamie is a highlander.Some of the books are a bit hard going at times but if you bare with them they do get better,
  • My husband has a kindle but I cannot see the attraction. There is nothing like holding a book.

I have read all the Phillipa Gregory Tudor books and today received The Changling by her through the post. Holding the book in my hands knowing that I am holding the story that Philli[pa has penned and it is all there waiting for me to enjoy.. a book is real not an electronic cold thing - still we are all different. I feel the Kindle and the like have no soul
  • I take my Kindle on holiday and prefer short stories rather than a longer novel. At home I prefer to read proper books. I like the feel of them in my hand.
    I have just ordered The Thread by Victoria Hislop. I've read most of her books and they're all a good read. She does a lot of research and it shows.
  • I love M C Beaton's Agatha Raisin books, just catching up with the most recent ones
  • I am so glad I found this page.
    My husband and my daughters have been trying to 'update' me (to a kindle) for years but I have stuck my heels in as a 'book' person. However, reading on here that avid book lovers save their books for home has made me think I might just give in to the pressure. I can do both.
    I suppose it's like saving your slippers for the comfort of home.
  • Some lovely reviews and suggestions, some I've read, some I want and some I will look into.
    I adore The Plague Dogs by Richard Adams (Watership Down). I love how it's written to make the reader feel as the characters do. Its not a comfortable read but worth an afternoon & I love the hope and innocence portrayed within the text.
    No fluff bunnies in this book.
  • Oh and I loathed The Lovely Bones. Film was great but the book was a chore for me. Anyone else read it?
  • AshleyAshley Administrator, Moderator
    @Stickgal

I didn't mind The Lovely Bones so much. It did drag a little in the middle. But the chapter with her sister inside the guy's house. Argh, was on the edge of my seat!

Haven't seen the film though. :)
  • I usually read a book before watching a film. This was an unknown for me and I enjoyed the film enough to invest in the book.
    Maybe the newness of a story is the best experience?

I do have some old favourites which I re-read.
    Does anyone else have fall back books or am I just forgetful?
  • I a non fiction person and have books and a kindle. I'm reading the biography of Katherine Howard, just finished The Law's Strangest Cases and Enid Blyton biography. Enjoyed all Oliver Sacks' books and Richard Dawkins, Dava Sobel etc
  • My book group has just read Wonder by A J Palacio. Very thought provoking. I loved it.
    The Vanishing Act of Esme Lennox by Maggie O'Farrell. Brilliant book; Dear George by Helen Simpson (great short stories); A Spool of Blue Thread by Anne Tyler (not finished this one yet, but thoroughly enjoying it so far); Almost English by Charlotte Mendelson.....need any more recommendations? X
  • I tried Lovely Bones but couldn't get past the first few chapters.
    I am currently reading The Secret of Crichley Hall (James Herbert). It has been on my 'to read' shelf for ages.
    And it's definitely a book for me!
  • @Sallylorraine I read The Rats by James Herbert when I was 10. Scared me silly. I had forgotten he existed, I may search for his work now.
    @FPLAshley I have tried the Dragon series but it wasn't my cuppa. Others I know loved them. I'm a bit old school Pratchett for SciFi. Got a fab email from him in 1997, wish I'd kept it!
  • Nicola Member
    I've enjoyed reading The Help by Kathryn Stockett after watching the movie, it was a brilliant book very empowering and touching without being overly sentimental. I know it's not a recent book or film but as a mature student my time is filled with reading economics and marketing.....zzzzz.
    Also another brilliant read is Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden, I loved this one so much I finished it in two days.
  • Nicola Member
    P.S I own a Kindle which is great for taking away with you but I do love miss reading hard copies. You can't beat the smell of a new book...... apparently you can buy a perfume that smells like new books
  • Ma_McKenzie Member
    edited July 2016
    Stickgal I read the Lovely Bones first, way before the film. As is often the case when reading a book first I tend to prefer the book to the film. I just feel they can get so much more into a book that is difficult to portray on film. I guess that is why sometimes I am disappointed in film versions, in particular with books I really like. I expect too much.

PS I got into that book really quickly. Then found it difficult to put down. Read it in a couple of days :) A light read for me though.

Nicola I haven't read The Help yet. I loved the film. Thanks for reminding me. I will put that on my to read list :)

• Nicola Member
    Your welcome @Ma_McKenzie and I think I'm gonna have a read of Lovely Bones @Stickgal as i keep hearing good things about it. :)
  • AndMac Member
    If anyone likes biographies that deal with country life and times now passed, I can really recommend The Hurley Maker's Son by Patrick Deeley.
    Patrick is a retired Dublin headmaster who grew up in rural County Galway in the Fifties and Sixties. He is a poet, and it shows in the book, it is the most beautifully lyrical, but never sugary, account of Irish country/family life and childhood. It's the best book I've read this year.
  • Maris Member
    Hi. Not posted on here before but I must tell you about my latest find- the "Clovenhoof" series (5 books altogether) by Heide Goody and Iain Grant. If you like Terry Pratchett I think you'll enjoy these as the humour is similar.
  • Graham-SGraham-S Member
    edited July 2016
    Do you pray to the wierwood tree, the seven, or the lord of light
    The old gods or the new, The night is dark and full of terrors.
    Even if they were not fictions, who is to say it's not a wrong choice.
    Did you put yourself down as a jedi in the census? that's freedom of choice, and should be applauded.
    Somebody out there can repeat this in klingon I reckon but translated back it might say ...
    no you don't - it's up to me what I choose.

Graham Stormborn, Ninety-Third of the Stalwarts and Defender of the Lottery.
  • Raza Member
    Two terrific books I've just finished by Mark Gimenez, The Colour of Law and The Abduction. Hailed as the next John Grisham, Gimenez was also a lawyer.
  • @Maris, thank you. I will undoubtedly look up your suggestion. Gotta have a silly side to keep me entertained! @Graham-S !
  • @Ma_McKenzie I haven't read The Kite Runner yet and it's now on my list :)
    If you like Khaled Hosseini then I heartily recommend his second book, A Thousand Splendid Suns.
    You may also like:
    The Other Hand by Chris Cleave,
    The Last Song of Dusk by Siddharth Dhanvant Shanghvi,
    I loved them, found them completely absorbing, could barely put them down and then wanted only to get back to them. I look forward to re-reading all three.

And I really enjoyed The Life of Pi, which like many books is way better than the film version (and I did like the film version too)

So I'm wondering, does anyone else have a favourite book of all time - something that they may have read a long time ago and it made such a lasting impression that it will always be remembered as something very powerful? Mine is The Well of Loneliness by Radclyffe Hall, which I read when I was 15 years old.

Thanks to all for the recommendations; I do like reading books that people recommend and I'm old skool - no kindles for me thanks! You can't leave a kindle on your sun-lounger while you go for a dip in the sea, or a walk along the beach, and you can't swap a kindle book at a beach shack B)
  • The Testament of Gideon Mack was a 'travelling book' I found in a waiting room. For those who may recall the 'travelling book' idea it involved leaving a favourite or enjoyed book in public with a unique code in the cover. A finder then could take the book and leave a review online, and by doing so could track the journey of the book before they found it and after too.
    The book itself was one I would have been happy to buy but probably only one read in it.
    I would recommend it tho as I enjoyed it
  • VicVic Administrator, Moderator
    @bossbitch 'A Thousand Splendid Suns' is one of my favourite books, such a beautiful, heartbreaking book.
    I also really recommend 'Captain Corelli's Mandolin' by Louis de Bernieres - so much better than the film, in fact, I didn't like the film at all! I would also highly recommend his other book, 'Birds Without Wings'. They are both beautifully written books.
    I've been reading a lot of books by Haruki Murakami lately, such a fascinating writer!
    My favourite book of all time is 'The Hobbit', I first read it when I was very young and it still brings back great memories every time I read it. :)
  • I read Lovely Bones and thought it was dreadful ( it was a book group book so had to finish it!)
    A Thousand Splendid Sun's is brilliant, as is The Kite Runner.
    Have recently finished Our Endless Numbered Days by Claire Fuller - a bit unsettling but very good.