Claim to Fame

As we have a varied and interesting community I wondered what claims to infamy we all have? Whether eating at a restaurant in the presence of a Z-lister or meeting Brenda Herself (the Queen) between us we must have a few........

Comments

• Now, I know we have a Dementor in our midst.
  • AndyH Member
    edited December 2016
    I've met lots of celebrities at work over the years, including Brenda's son. I've also been on TV at work several times too. Here's a picture of one of the "people" I've met that some of the older members might recognise. The BBC found him in a cupboard and brought him to appear of Stargazing Live in 2014....he still runs around okay, despite being a bit rusty :)

• Very interesting AndyH, what do you do and what programmes have you stared in :)
  • AndyH Member
    edited December 2016
    @Lolly_pop ...I'm a Telescope Controller at Jodrell Bank Observatory. I've been on 2 or 3 Stargazing Live programmes with Brian Cox and Dara O'Briain plus a couple of childrens programmes and lots of items on various news programmes. I also get to meet other "known" people when Jodrell hosts music concerts etc.

Here are a couple of pictures, stills taken from Media Player, of Stargazing Live in 2012....when I unexpectedly had to speak in one of the live programmes after Dara O'Briain spoke to me out of the blue. It hadn't been part of the rehearsals and as you'll see, Brian Cox is wetting himself because he knew Dara had caught me off guard!

• Apparently: Infamy, infamy, they've all got it infamy.
  • I can see you from my house @AndyH . If you look towards the south you may see the castle (folly really) I see when I hang out my washing. :D
  • Alien-Nomad Member
    edited December 2016
    @andy h I'm watching Dara Of the Brain on BBC2 at this very moment.
  • I also have met said mechanised dog and a dalek too. I went to live at jodrell a few years back, Australia Floyd and elbow. I wanted to take the family but I couldn't find out if you had disabled facilities. Are they doing jbl this year too?
  • AndyH Member
    edited December 2016
    @Stickgal So you'll recognise this gentleman then....again, taken in the Jodrell Control Room :) I think that was the year when Prof. Tim O'Brien spoke to me over the PA system at the start of the concert.

• I won't keep posting lots of pictures but seeing as he's been mentioned earlier, here's a picture of me welcoming Brenda's son to the Control Room a few years ago and a more recent one with Buzz Aldrin...

• AndyH Member
    edited December 2016
    Just a few of the other people I've met at work...

Astronauts Walt Cunningham (Apollo 7), Chris Hadfield (Space Station), Tim Peake and of course, Buzz Aldrin.
    John Bishop, Ben Miller, Jane Goldman, Jonathan Ross (who asked if I was Jean Luc Picard, due to our similar hair styles, when I was sat at the control desk), Guy Garvey (Elbow), Brian May, Patrick Moore (many times).......oh and Noddy Holder signed all my 70's Slade album covers when he recorded an episode of "The Grimleys" at Jodrell....Amanda Holden was there too. There are lots more, but I'll shut up now.
  • That's amazing AndyH I'm truly impressed and please do let us know all of the others you've had the pleasure of working and meeting it's really fascinating to know, I think the Buzz aldrin one is the best :)
  • @Stickgal ....Jodrell are doing the Bluedot Festival again in 2017 but I don't know of any other music events like JBL being mentioned. The best thing to do is keep a watch on the Visitor Centre website as they organise the concerts. Here's the article about the 2017 Bluedot.........

http://www.jodrellbank.net/bluedot-returns/

We went to the JBL Halle concert in 2013 and that was brilliant. Here's a YouTube video I just found...

• Cherie Member
    edited December 2016
    I used to be the 'Fairtrade Project Officer' here in Middlesbrough and once had to do a Christmas Cookery demonstration and did it live on our local radio. Try talking to a room full of people with a radio presenter chatting in your ear via headphones. My colleagues were really impressed that I never once said um or err. We were making sugar plums, jam,chutney, chocolate bark and other Christmas goodies using as many Fairtrade products as I could find in our local shops
  • Fabulous crafty Cherie, excellent, is there no end to your talents woman?. lucky Mr crafty Cherie :)
  • Lolly_pop you ole sweetie. You say such nice things. Hope you have a lovely 2017. xxx
  • Well thank you so much crafty C, hope you and yours have a fabulous, prosperous wonderful 2017 too :) xxx
  • AndyH Member
    edited December 2016
    @Lolly_pop ....here's the back of me (on the right) on The One Show earlier this year....

• AndyH Member
    edited December 2016
    ....and in the audience with my step-daughter for Back To Earth, the programme after Stargazing Live in 2014. The BBC ask the staff if they'd like to be in the audience, assuming they're not working of course. I did the same in 2013 but have decided not to do it since in case it becomes obvious the same people are in the audience each year ;)

• Fabulous :)
  • Not sure if it's true but apparently the London Underground is moving all their platforms back a foot. Have a Gappy New Year.
  • You may have seen this in the good deed blog comments months ago but I'll repeat.
    When was ten or so I used to get the bus to Manchester Airport regularly. One day, while they were re-organising and preparing to expand I saw an elderly gentleman looking lost. I asked what he was looking for and started giving directions, then decided to show him instead. We had a nice chat as we walked, and he wished he could have gone with his family on a break to Jersey but was busy with work. I checked arrivals, got him where he needed to be and told him the plane was due in only a few minutes, told him I hoped his family had a nice time, and then left Sir Matt Busby in peace.
  • I am speechless. Sir Patrick (saw him crossing road in front of my car, not looking where he was going but looking up) personal hero of mine!
    An Guy Garvey! I've never missed a tour, even their first Glastonbury set way back. Got standing tickets for finale night March 2017 in Manchester, home turf. First time twigs has been able to mosh :)
    I am on email list but couldn't do this year as disabled access again for family. Wasn't Paul Weller one of the first for LJB?
  • Cool graham! Sir Matt! Cheese how did you manage not to stumble? Pops, ;)
  • @Cherie auto carrot called you 'cheese' :D
  • AndyH Member
    edited December 2016
    @Stickgal ....Patrick used to come and chat in the control room whenever he visited Jodrell but what I remember most is Sir Bernard Lovell (then in his 90s) helping Patrick (in his 80s) up the stairs into the control room after his legs had let him down. Patrick said he was okay when he went to bed one night and his legs seemed to give up working properly overnight.

Yes, Paul Weller was on the same bill as Elbow in 2012. Elbow performed on the first night but Paul Weller's concert had to be cancelled due to the torrential rain. Everybody got drenched during the Elbow concert and loads of cars had to be dragged out of the car park field. The rain continued and the other concert evenings had to be cancelled on safety grounds, even though Paul Weller was already here.

I assume you live up Mow Cop then....I'm in Congleton.
  • Alien-Nomad Member
    edited December 2016
    Ah, the great Matt Busby, one of the most famous military milliners ever, although a bit too showy for my taste.
  • AndyH Member
    On the Man Utd theme, I once saw David Becham shopping at the Trafford Centre at the time he played for Man Utd. It was the middle of summer and everyone was in summer garb but he was apparently trying to go unnoticed by wearing a wooly hat pulled down around his head as much as possible.

We also saw Miriam Margolyes browsing round the shops in St. Ives when we were on holiday in Cornwall a few years ago.
  • Alien-Nomad Member
    edited January 2
    I'll never forgive Beckham for closing down all those railways and then moving into football and marrying a minor pop singer. Leaving the rail network decimated and in the hands of train virgins.
  • AndyH Member
    Maybe he could remeem himself if he became a coach at Bournemouth and helped to train the youngsters to a high standard to keep the club in the Premier League. Hopefully they wouldn't then lose their young cherries to the bigger clubs.

*For non-football fans, Bournemouth's nickname is "The Cherries".